How can you describe a modern women’s wardrobe? Is it full of crisp office wear or slouchy self-employment separates? Does she wear floral in the spring or stick to androgynous silhouettes? The options are as diverse as women themselves, making it almost impossible to identify a single set of staples that are foundational to everyone. And yet! Some things never change. A pair of razor-sharp black heels looks just as fiercely stylish as it did in the 1980’s, and my time travelling sources tell me black heels are wildly en-voguemduring the 2080’s too. If we, try to pick out the keystones of a modern woman’s wardrobe, the picture that emerges is a little bit serious and a little bit flashy and a little bit devil-may-care-cool. So if any of you modern women need help shopping for basics, well I’ve done the legwork for you.
- A SURREALLY PERFECT WHITE T-SHIRT : It has to be lose in a flattering way. Enough said. But seriously, this will save your, “I-don’t- know- what-to-wear” dilemmas. You can wear it with ANYTHING. Yes, you read that right, with anything. It must be kept spotless at all times. Who said effortless fashion is effortless.
2. THE CHAMBRAY TOP: If you’re a chambray top-virgin you will wonder how you ever dressed without it. It should be fitted and not tight. Wear them alone, layer, wear it over or under them possibilities are endless.
4. LIGHT COLOURED OXFORD: Pick a colour that suites you the best light colours are perfect for the current weather where i live. Let the rest of the society obsess over their crisp white button downs that are impossible to clean. You already have your white T-shirts that are impossible to clean.
7. BOYFRIEND BLAZER: I like mine with 3/4th sleeves and a streamlined shape. It creates instant polish in any outfit. Wear it to work or over a cocktail dress, the choice is yours.
8. TWEED JACKET: I’m not saying buy a Chanel Jacket, but a tweed jacket can add some great texture to an otherwise flat outfit. You can go high end or get a good buy at Tibet Mall.
9. LEATHER JACKET: This is a great investment if you buy a good quality one, it could last a decade. Get one with a classic shape. If you are looking for a good quality one you can opt for Gucci, Zara
11. A GREAT DRESS: Get one that works perfectly with your body. Personally, for my body type, i love a good shift dress that can be belted to perfection. Make sure it is light weight so that it’s easy to layer
12. THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS(LBD): Get one that has a little oomph. Whether its the peplum detailing, or the lace magic or a cut out. Make it anything but boring.
13. THE I’M-SEXY-AND-I-KNOW-IT DRESS: For the days you want to ditch the LBD. Opt for something that’s flirty and fun. It makes you look drop dead gorgeous. Throw practicality out of the window and invite frivolousness in.
14. MAXI SKIRT OR DRESS: Never under-estimate the casual elegance of something that sweeps the floor
15. TRENCH COAT THAT ACTUALLY FITS: To get the pep add a belt at your natural waist.
16. A NOT SO TIGHT PENCIL SKIRT: Because one day you’ll have a job interview. It should be knee length or slightly above the knee. It should be tailored perfectly displaying your curves. Great for work, social gatherings or classy cocktail parties.
17. DENIM SHORTS: Any length you are comfortable with. A blessing for the summer, since its chic and stylish can be worn in so many possibly ways. Considered the most comfortable outfit for the summer. Nothing less for the winter. It can still be carried off during the cold, with stockings underneath without losing its potency.
18. THE PERFECT JEANS: Skinny? Bell bottoms? Printed? Boot cut? Boyfriend? Dark wash? Acid wash? That answer is: Whatever works well on you. Unfortunately, that is a path you must travel alone.
20. PANTS THAT SHOW OFF YOUR ANKLE: Whether it’s cuffed skinny jeans or the perfect cigarette jeans, ankles are sexy- they aren’t always going to be as liberated as today. Celebrate them.
21. PERFECT LEGGINGS: Ideally you’ll find leggings that are infinitely stretchable, very comfortable and high quality enough to maintain its shape through yoga, napping and sitting cross legged. While still looking good to be carried off as skinny black pants during night outs. H&M have a good collection of leggings.
22. PALAZZOS: You need something that tells the world, “I choose to dress like a Bohemian.” While secretly meaning, “It’s the time of the month, I can’t bear anything fitted.”
23. A SENSUOUS BRA: Something really hot of your choice. This should make you feel like a Victoria’s Secret model. Oh, definitely go get it professionally fitted. 75% of the women wear wrong bra size.
24. A STRAPLESS NUDE BRA: This is a MUST have! It will save you. And remember, don’t wear white under white.
25. SEAMLESS UNDERWEAR OR THONGS: For all the tight outfits in your closet. If choosing seamless underwear opt for a nude hue. Personally, I prefer thongs because they are so comfortable, no panty lines and it need not be just nude you can opt any colour of your choice.